Planting a single tree benefits the environment, wildlife, and community. But nurturing the growth of a tree, especially as a child, encourages something much greater! Get Planting with SHTWs is our way of cultivating a deeper connection with our natural environment, planting that seed of fascination with the world around us.
Which trees can I plant?
- Beech Horse
- Chestnut (Conkers)
- Oak (Acorn)
- Sweet Chestnut
What do I need?
- Your chosen plant seed(s)
- Plant pot (at least 10cm tall) with drainage holes at the bottom
- Strong stick for support
- A few small stones
How do I plant my seed?
- Place the stones at base of the post and fill the pot 2cm from the top with compost
- Plant the seeds approximately 2cm deep, pat down the overlaying soil/compost
- Water! Ensure the seed receives plenty of water to sustain its growth
What do I do next?
- Every week check your tree to ensure the soil has not dried out. However, be careful to not overwater!
- Once your sapling has reached a height of at least 1 metre, which may take up to a year and a half, register using the link below.